Thursday, September 1, 2011

House Rules


Do you have house rules? Did you have a house rules when you were a kid?

I don’t specifically remember having a list of rules we had to follow or could refer to growing up but I’m sure we did have rules….

I’ve seen a bunch of cool ideas incorporating the ‘home rules’ list into home design.

So I thought it would be fun to make my own list.


Show someone they were missed

Compost & Recycle

Be kind

Eat your veggies

Say please & thank you

Clean up (or at least try)

No licking

Give love freely & with wild abandon

Show someone they were missed – since Cameron and I don’t always see that much of each other it’s important for us to put down what we’re doing and greet each other in a big way when we see each other for the first time in what can be a awhile. Having someone come to the door when you get home, take your bags and welcome you home with a hug is a seriously great feeling. It works for us.

Compost and Recycle – do I have to bother explaining this one?

Be kind – duh.

Eat your veggies – This is a .5 vegetarian house (.25 if you count the pups). Cameron eats vegetarian with me at least 2 nights a week and even more in the summer. Veggies rock, this is an easy rule.

Say please and thank you – Oh this is such a great rule. My ‘nephew’ and all around favorite little guy say “Hah-Hoo” for “thank you” right now and it is the cutest thing you have ever seen. He’s teaching us all about manners right now. Anything and everything gets a very enthusiastic “HAH HOO” … it’s adorable.

Clean up – I feel like maybe if I make this a rule it will inspire me to keep a cleaner house. If I really want to clean up I’ll just throw a dinner party. Nothing gets me to wash the floors faster..

‘No licking’ - this rule is for the dogs. Hawksley is a great non-licking dog and Amos is trying his best… it’s a work in progress. I can’t stand dogs that stand there and lick people… ugh.

Give love freely and with wild abandon – This is the most important rule. And certainly the most fun.

I’m sure this list would change once we have children to speak of… but maybe not…


All the happiness on earth - C

No comments:

Post a Comment